Farm program payment sign-up deadline is June 1
By Pamela Stahlke
Date Modified: 06/12/2012 7:55 AM
The final weeks to sign up for the Direct and Counter-Cyclical (DCP) and the Average Crop Revenue Election (ACRE) direct payment programs are here. This program is commonly referred to as "the Farm Program" and producers must sign up yearly to receive payment.
Payment will be made in the fall, but to be eligible for payment in 2012 you must sign up now.
In order to be eligible for DCP or ACRE payments individuals must:
• Be an owner, operator, or sharecropper that shares in the risk of producing a crop on a farm with base acres.
• Annually report what commodities are planted on the farm each year.
• Use the base acres for agricultural related activities.
• Comply with conservation and wetland provisions on all land currently being run – fill out and follow an NRCS approved conservation plan.
• Comply with planting flexibility requirements – only plant excluded crops on base acres approved through the Planting Transferability Pilot Project (PTPP).
• Protect all base acres from erosion and complete necessary weed control.
Participants who elect to enroll in ACRE are further reminded that in addition to signing up for the yearly farm program they are required to bring in prior year production evidence to remain in compliance for the ACRE program. 2011 production evidence must be turned in to the FSA office by July 15. Failure to do so timely may result in cancellation of your ACRE contract and require refund of money paid to you as an ACRE program participant.
The DCP and ACRE program provide producers an opportunity to assist in offsetting their farming production costs. Don't let the deadline pass you by and as a result miss out on your earned payment.
If you have any questions about DCP, ACRE or any other FSA program please contact your local FSA office or logon to www.fsa.usda.gov.