Serving Minnesota and Northern Iowa.

Emergency Haying and Grazing of CRP

By Janet Kubat Willette

Date Modified: 10/10/2012 3:46 PM

E-mail article | Print version

Additional CRP acres have been authorized for emergency haying and grazing due to the prevailing drought conditions. Eligible contract holders can hay or graze these eligible acres after receiving approval from their local Farm Service Agency. The eligible acres include the following practices:

CP1, Established Grasses and Legumes

CP2, Established Native Grasses

CP4D, Wildlife Habitat

CP8A, Grass Waterway

CP10, Established Grasses

CP23 and CP23A, Wetland Restorations

CP27 and CP28, Farmable Wetlands and associated Buffer

To initiate emergency haying and grazing of CRP, producers must first contact their local FSA Office to apply. Producers must sign a modified conservation plan with NRCS to allow for the haying and grazing. No more than 50 percent of the CRP field maybe hayed, and haying must be completed by August 31, 2012. No more than 75 percent of a field may be grazed, and the grazing must end by September 30, 2012. Haying or grazing cannot occur within 120 feet of a stream or other permanent water body, or on acres devoted to trees.

CRP You can Sign Up for Anytime of the Year

Continuous CRP allows participants to enroll acreages into certain conservation practices at any time during the year. Enrollment in Continuous CRP is voluntary and landowners receive annual payments, incentive payments for certain activities and cost share for establishment of the cover. Offers are not subject to competitive bidding as they are with General GRP.

Priority Practices include:

Wetland restorations

Constructed wetlands

Flooded prairie wetlands

Diverse native grass/forb plantings

Filter strips

Living snow fences

Field windbreaks

Grass waterways

FSA recently announced that the Pollinator Habitat and the Highly Erodible Land Initiative will be two new practices that will be available for Continuous sign-up. The Pollinator Habitat initiative is designed to establish a habitat to support the pollinator species and the Highly Erodible Land initiative is designed to help protect highly erodible land with an erodibility index of greater than 20.

Please contact your local Farm Service Agency office for more information on the Continuous CRP Program.

Non-Insured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)

The NAP program provides weather related loss protection for crops commercially producers for food or fiber for which Federal Crop Insurance is not available. Producers who grow crops that are not eligible for coverage under crop insurance need to make application with the Farm Service Agency to be eligible for NAP coverage. The application deadlines are as follows:

NAP sales closing dates for crop year 2013 in Minnesota are as follows:

September 1, 2012

Aquaculture, Christmas Trees, Ornamental Nursery, Turf Grass Sod, Floriculture, Mushrooms and Fall Seeded Annual Crops

September 30, 2012

Perennial Forage including grass/legume seed, Wild Rice, Asparagus, Rhubarb and Strawberries

November 20, 2012

Apples, Blueberries, Cane berries, Sage and perennial herbs

December 1, 2012


February 1, 2013

Maple Sap

March 15, 2013

Spring seeded annual vegetables, grain crops and Perennial Forage Pasture.

There is a $250 per crop fee, not to exceed $750 per county, or $1,875 per producer with farming interest in multiple counties. Producers must file a notice of loss within 15 days after the date of the disaster condition or damage to the crop is obvious. Please contact your local Farm Service Agency for more information on the Non-Insured Disaster Assistance Program.